UNT Retirees Association (UNTRA)
The University of North Texas Retirees Association — UNTRA — replaces the former RIPS (Retired Instructors, Personnel and Spouses) organization. Rest in peace RIPS!
The new UNTRA has received enthusiastic support from several UNT sponsors, including the President’s Office, the Division of Advancement, the Center for Achievement and Lifelong Learning (CALL) and Athletics.
UNTRA’s purposes are to:
- Promote social events that provide fellowship opportunities for retirees and activities that further the University's well-being.
- Encourage active participation of retirees in the life of the University.
- Seek educational opportunities and privileges.
- Promote retiree benefits and privileges.
- Disseminate relevant information to retirees.
- Represent the interests of retirees in appropriate University forums.
Membership and Dues
Upon retirement from full-time service, all UNT faculty, staff, and their spouses or partners are eligible for UNTRA membership and are encouraged to join and participate in association activities and programs.
Dues are determined annually by the UNTRA Board. For 2012-2013 (September through August) dues are as follows:
- Individual Retiree -- $15.00
- Individual and spouse/partner -- $20.00
- New Retiree -- DUES ARE WAIVED FOR THE YEAR FOLLOWING RETIREMENT
Retirees may join online, by completing and mailing the downloadable registration form, or by contacting the UNTRA office by e-mail at UNTRA@unt.edu or by phone at 940-565-3482. Dues can be paid online or by mail as part of the registrations process.
UNTRA has traditionally sponsored several events during the year. The UNT Advancement Office, the Center for Achievement and Lifelong Learning, and Colleges and Departments are all helpful in cosponsoring events. The UNTRA Events page provides information about coming UNTRA programs.
In addition to standard UNT retiree privileges and benefits, UNTRA members are invited to participate in all UNTRA programs and events, use of the UNTRA office in Marquis Hall, updates on benefits and other matters of importance to UNT retirees, and representation in various forums of the University.
Standard retiree benefits include a free campus parking permit, free season tickets to UNT football and basketball games, free auditing of classes (for those over 65 years of age) and discounts to arts programs and cultural events. A full description of standard retiree benefits is available on the UNT Policy Manual Web-site at:
The UNTRA Bylaws, which were approved in July, 2012, establish a Board, Officers and Committees to conduct the business of the Association. Click here for Bylaws and a list of Board members and officers.
1. PROGRAMS COMMITTEE: Proposes, plans and conducts programs and events of the Association.
2. MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Recruits new members, helps maintain membership records, and coordinates membership matters.
3. BENEFITS COMMITTEE: Provides liaison with all appropriate UNT offices related to University policies and practices affecting retirees and seeks UNTRA representation on UNT forums where appropriate.
4. NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE: Identifies UNTRA members willing to fill Board positions vacated each year by virtue of expiration-of-term or resignation.
5. COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE: Develops and disseminates information and materials related to UNTRA’s organization, membership, and programs, as well as retiree benefits and privileges, and provides liaison with UNT units managing electronic, telephone, paper and other institutional communication systems.
Committees are each chaired by a member of the Board. Participation on committees is open to and encouraged for all UNTRA members. Members interested in any UNTRA committee may contact any member of the Board or the committee chair.
UNTRA Contact Information
- Telephone - 940.565.3482
- Main Email - UNTRA@unt.edu
- Student Assistant - Taylor Low (Taylor.Low@unt.edu)
UNT Retirees Association
1155 Union Circle #310560
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Marquis Hall Rm. 213
University of North Texas, Denton Campus